[Lazarus] learning advice for FPC/Lazarus noob

Gary Randall randall.gary at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 00:05:00 CEST 2015

Hi Gour,

I've been programming for 53 years, learning everything from machine and
assembler languages to various OOPs.  When Delphi first came out I used
it for four or five years and liked it. After retiring I was hired to
write a program to run on multiple platforms.  I settled on FPC and
elected to use the Lazarus GUI before trying anything else in order to
learn Lazarus's limitations.  I purchased the "Lazarus, the Complete
Guide" and "Learn to Program Using Pascal" package.  I refer to the
guide when exploring methods, but find myself reaching most often for
Howard Page-Smith's "Learn to Program Using Lazarus".  It has excellent
examples and got me going in a hurry.  Like any language where you can
get to the guts of things, the learning curve can be long, maybe even
continuous.  The forum is also an excellent resource when you need a
question answered.  I do Google searches starting with "Pascal Lazarus"
and usually end up finding the answer in the forum.  I got "The Blaise
Pascal Magazine" going back a bunch of issues as a bonus when I ordered
the package and found many excellent articles in them.

Gary