[Lazarus] Editor toolbar changes ?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Aug 4 13:50:51 CEST 2015

On Tue, 4 Aug 2015, Juha Manninen wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> But:
>> If I click the 'configure' button, the 'jump to' is not displayed in the
>> list of enabled buttons.
>
> Earlier it was hard-coded and not configurable. IMO it did not deserve
> any special treatment, it should one configurable command amoung other
> commands ... and now it is.

I appreciate the API is now probably better. But the GUI is now worse.

>> In the newer installation, when I add the 'Jump to' button, a button is
>> added to the editor toolbar,
>> but it is not functional: the dropdown menu is not shown, and clicking it
>> does not do anything (not surprising).
>
> How did you do that?

Double-click 'jump to' under 'Code explorer' ?
Maybe this is another "jump to" ?

> You cannot add a 'Jump to' button. You can add 'Jump to Interface' and
> 'Jump to Implementation' buttons and they work perfectly well. These
> commands were added to Search menu precisely for this purpose.

I imagined this, and I tried this, but then I need 5 buttons, which
have not very clear and distinguishable icons and take a lot of place.

1 button with a clear dropdown takes less place and is very understandable
because the caption is very clear.

>> What does this mean ? Did anything change in the toolbar editor ?
>
> Yes, it was changed a lot. The code was moved from the package to IDE's code.
> The configuration dialog and related code is shared with the IDE
> Coolbar configuration.
> The configuration data is stored in environment options instead of a
> separate config file.
> The new desktops feature now includes Editor Toolbar, too.
> Earlier the Editor Toolbar had a profile feature for the same purpose
> but new desktops affect the whole IDE.
>
>> Should I be afraid to update my SVN in the older installation ?
>
> No, the old settings are copied and preserved, except for the
> hard-coded (hackinsh) 'Jump to' button.

It's in fact almost the only button I care about, because I use it most of all,
besides the backward/forward in history.

> More improvements are needed but they must be done in a consistent way
> for the whole IDE.
> As you noticed you cannot configure a dropdown button with a menu. The
> IDE Coolbar has some hard-coded dropdown buttons even though it is
> otherwise configurable. No good. There should be a clean API for
> commands with dropdown menus. Then both the IDE Coolbar and Editor
> Toolbar could use it.
> If somebody wants to work on such a feature, I would be happy to help
> and finally commit it.
>

>> [...]
>> Seems to be a confirmed bug then :)
>
> No. It is a feature, not a bug.

That depends on your point of view, of course.
As a user of the IDE I don't care so much about the API, it's invisible.
The fact that my much-used button is gone, is very visible.

As a programmer, I of course completely understand you want a clean and
clear programming interface. No argument there.

But then please make it possible - from the start - to create a dropdown button
and add commands to that (as you suggest), so users can at least recreate the old
situation from day 1.

well, it means I must wait with upgrading the other machine till the job is properly finished :(

Thanks for the explanation and please notify on the list when someone has completed the work.

Michael.