[Lazarus] Raspberry Pi bundles now available

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 04:18:09 CET 2015

I've uploaded a few Raspberry Pi files and scripts at
http://www.getlazarus.org

This is a minimal fpc 3.0.0 compiler. It's stripped down to be small and
only includes the compiler, the text mode IDE, and the run time library.
It's a good starting point on the Raspberry Pi if you want to do command
line compiling using only the rtl or if you want to use it as a starting
point for building the fpc trunk or other compiler branches on your
Raspberry Pi. Total install size will be 45MB, for those of you conscious
about using up the limited space on your Pi's SD card.

http://cache.getlazarus.org//archives/fpc-3.0.0.raspberry-min.tar.gz

Just download the above then "fpc-3.0.0.raspberry-min.tar.gz &&
./setup.sh". The setup does not need super user rights. It will let you
choose a fpc compiler installation location, somewhere under your $HOME,
and give you the option to create a shortcut to a terminal where the fpc
environment is ready for you. That is with the minimal fpc 3.0 in your path
and fpc.cfg environment variable configured.

Another, possibly more useful bundle I've created is Free Pascal 3.0 with
Lazarus for the Raspberry Pi. I've taken great care to reduce the install
size of both fpc and Lazarus with this bundle for the Pi.

I've eliminated a lot of fpc packages which don't make sense to have on a
Pi. All cross platform package and runtime files have been removed (I don't
imagine people cross compiling from the Pi to say Windows for example).
I've also eliminate the lazarus tool sources, source images files (res
files remain), and quite a few components which are very unlikely to be
used on the Pi. Basically I've gotten the install size from a full fpc and
lazarus from 1.5GB down to around 216MB.

If you're interested in trying this version of Free Pascal 3.0 with
Lazarus, here is where you can get it:

http://www.getlazarus.org/setup/?download#raspberry_pi

If you have a Pi, just follow the instructions in the setup script. You can
choose your install folder and have the option to creaate a application
shortcut you can pin to the Pi menu,

In the next week I'll be working on updating the other platform installers
to include a minimal versiomn, as well as updated install scripts where you
can choose you install folder and create more shortcuts, be they fpc
terminal shortcuts or applicationd esktop shortcuts.

Pi users, if your interested I am developing an SDL 2 installer along with
a few bare demos which should work with either the minimal or the more
complete compilers mentioned above. Let me know if you're inerested in
using the SDL 2 on the Pi and I may setup a forum for it.