[Lazarus] UTF8String and UTF8Delete

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Thu Dec 10 17:49:39 CET 2015

Today I tried Lazarus 1.6 RC1 (on Windows 7 32 bit).

The installation hat a problem with missing access rights.
I chose to uninstall the previous version but afterwards
some folders of fpc 2.4 still existed and I did not have
access rights to these folders. I am not sure whether
this was caused by Lazarus or by the crappy rights
management of Windows.
Well, in the end I could solve the problem.

But now I have a problem with UTF8Strings:
With this declaration

var S : UTF8String;

I want to delete a character

UTF8Delete(S,1,1);

but I get an error that the (var) parameter mismatches.
S is UTF8String but expected is AnsiString (I thought that
an AnsiString on its own no longer exists but that it has
to be declared with a codepage).
UTF8Delete is declared with a "string" parameter (I hate
these chameleons as I never know what they realy mean
in a certain case).

My question:
How can I use UTF8Delete on an UTF8string?