[Lazarus] Release Candidate 1 of Lazarus 1.6

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Dec 8 16:44:49 CET 2015

On 12/08/2015 04:19 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> The Lazarus team is glad to announce the first release candidate of Lazarus 1.6.
>
> This release was built with FPC 3.0.0.
> The previous release Lazarus 1.4.4 was built with FPC 2.6.4.

Great !

So there will be a Lazarus release that relies on fpc 3.x.

That means that I now can start the final phase of the "General Service"
Widget Type (formerly called "Active NoGUI").

Obviously it will not be in the first 1.6 release, but happily the
Lazarus releases are scheduled a lot more often than the fpc releases,
so I will not have to wait another three years until the code might be
published. But as the interest of the average Lazarus user is on Desktop
applications rather than on Services I think there is no hurry, anyway.
(Sorry, Bo :-( )

At some point of time I would like to have the code included in the svn
(or somehow else be generally available for those who might want to use
it or help to improve it (Bo ?!?!?! :-) :-) :-) ).

So now I think it's time to ask how to proceed.

Of course I do have a working code base for a first version of the
thingy. But how to make it usable ?

AFAIK, the existing Widget Type is selected in the IDE by setting it in
"Additions and Overrides" and/or by selecting an appropriate application
type when creating a new project.

Of course I can't modify the IDE to support this.

For compiling, the Widget Type is defined by a "$define" value this is
adhered to in the source code.

Of course I can't modify the "general" source code of the LCL to have it
consider a new Widget Type (by introducing some lines that make it visible)

How to proceed ? `

-Michael