[Lazarus] Release Candidate 1 of Lazarus 1.6

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 19:01:56 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> In the interest of making the least amount of work for anybody, my
> suggestion would be to proceed at the current rate towards 2.0.0, but to
> make sure that this is still compatible with FPC 3.0.0. After that try to
> slow down the Lazarus numerical progression a bit by using "hundredths"
> more.

I think the backwards compatibility of LCL is the most important
detail. A Long Term Support version of the IDE itself does not make
much sense.
The compatibility of LCL has been good. Or maybe it had problems which
I don't know about.
FPC 3.0 + codepage aware strings + our new UTF-8 system however breaks
certain code that depends on system codepages, but it also improves
things a lot. This kind of changes are necessary sometimes. I don't
understand how a slower release cycle would improve it.

Juha