[Lazarus] "NoGui" or "Service Application"

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Dec 10 13:18:58 CET 2015

> On 12/09/2015 11:45 AM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> Please take a look at the NoGUI widgetset. It does not use another
>> Queue.
If it does not use "another queue" but the one provided by the fpc RTL
(i.e. does not install it's own queue), and (obviously) does not use a
queue that is related to a GUI, it does not provide a queue art all.

So it does not provide an Event-Handling infrastructure and this (in
according to my terms) means it is not a ("Delphi Style") application,
hence not a "Service Application".

>> What code? It only contains the basic methods to let it compile. Any
>> LCL interface must have at least that.
This is what I assumed (and heard from those who tried it): It only
provides for compiling but does not offer any functionality.

>> The NoGUI allows to compile a LCL application without a GUI. It has a
>> few lines of code to connect the RTL.
If your intention is to say that just using the name NoGUI and
"silently" update it to something that is "active" (and with that a
"Service Application") would be more sensible than creating a newly
named  Widget Type / Application Type, I don't have any problems with
that. I just though of a new name to prevent the possibility to break
any existing code.

-Michael