[Lazarus] UTF8String and UTF8Delete

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sat Dec 12 18:47:04 CET 2015

Am 2015-12-12 um 18:21 schrieb Juha Manninen:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Jürgen Hestermann
> <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Am 2015-12-10 um 18:22 schrieb Juha Manninen:
>>>    http://wiki.freepascal.org/Better_Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus
>>> "String" type is UTF-8 and it works now (almost) transparently without
>>> explicit conversions.
>>>
>> Where do you read this?
> The page says among other things :
>   "The new mode is enabled automatically when compiling with FPC 3.0+."
Then why does it say:
"Since FPC 2.7.1 the default system codepage of the RTL can be changed to UTF-8 (CP_UTF8)"
It should say:
"Since FPC 2.7.1 the default system codepage of the RTL *is* UTF-8 (CP_UTF8)"
That's contradicting to your cite and lets room for other interpretations.

Also, in other mails and wikis I read that cp_ACP *can* be UTF-8 (on windows) but it is not nessesarily so.
But how it is set to UTF-8 is left in the dark.

> Then it explain the technical details how it was implemented.

This may be true for those who coded the new string mode
or those who wrote the wiki but not for the readers who
tries to find out without knowing it already.