[Lazarus] UTF8String and UTF8Delete

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Dec 14 11:08:08 CET 2015

On 12/12/2015 07:21 PM, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> As said: The docu in the wikis is very confusing and contradicting,
> fully understandable only for those who already know the details.

This is obvious by the always repeating and long winding discussions on
that issue. It supposedly can't be avoided, as, IMHO  the concept
introduced by Delphi is really flawed and not decently usable for a
development environment that is supposed to support portability.

When I had been requested to, I wrote a wiki article describing a
concept that (IMHO) could solve the problem - while not breaking
existing Delphi or Larzarus/fpc applications (unless the do very low
level access to strings), and not introducing noticeable overhead. But
of course this this is not along the lines of Delphi (e.g. it defines a
new type and uses it for Strings and hence in many classes and functions).

-Michael