[Lazarus] Does make install replace existing versions?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 09:59:31 CET 2015

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 09:39:08 +0100 (CET), Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

>> Will the new lazarus replace the older or will there be some version
>> added to the symlinks?
>
>The new lazarus will replace the old.

OK, thanks!
I started by installing fpc release 3.0.0 and following the make
install for fpc I had to issue the symlink command to make it actually
become the active version:

sudo ln -sf /usr/local/lib/fpc/3.0.0/ppcarm /usr/local/bin/ppcarm

Now I have 3 different fpc versions where 3.0.0 is the one responding
to the fpc command on the terminal.
If I execute "make bigide" inside the lazarus 1.6RC1 directory it will
use fpc 3.0.0 to compile.

Then I understand that "sudo make install" will replace the older
lazarus with this new one, at least as the one on path.

So now I would like to know how I can proceed to start this new
lazarus without destroying the settings of the existing one?

I once got a dialog when I installed a new (or really an older)
version of lazarus where it asked about the fpc sources and such.
I.e. it somehow sensed that there was a difference....

Do I copy the ~/.lazarus dir to a different name (like
.lazarus_1.6RC1) and use the command line "startlazarus
--pcp=~/.lazarus_1.6RC1"?

Will this keep the path to the old fpc for the old lazarus or how is
that best done?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden