[Lazarus] Lazarus versions in git

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Dec 17 18:26:44 CET 2015

On 17/12/2015 16:35, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2015-12-17 16:19, Vincent Snijders wrote:
>> Maybe you should convert the svn to a git branch instead of a git tag.
> I tried that it the past - tracking svn branches (seeing as svn tags are
> just like svn branches), at it inflated the Git repository size
> massively, because each branch was a 100% copy of all files. Branching
> is not as "cheap" in SVN like they are in Git. So I gave up on that idea
> too.

Actually there are only 2 or 3 branches that do the 100% copy thing.

That are branches which branch only a subdirectory (or in the last case
parent dir) of trunk. (that is the one svn feature git does not have....
changing the root folder in a branch)

The first 1 or 2 where just the lcl folder. To clone those it the
duplication is needed. (at least I found no better way).

The there is an 1.4.x branch, that was based on the parent of trunk, and
has no content. It is possible to skip this, and automatically follow
all other branches.

And that will work, as long as no accidental or intentional svn branch
of just one folder is created in future.