[Lazarus] Syntax error compiling fpc 3.0.0 3.0.0rc1 3.0.0rc2

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Dec 19 22:20:52 CET 2015

Donald Ziesig wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I ran out of room on the raspberry pi's 8GB NOOBS SD card so I just
> created a new SD 16GB card with the latest version of Raspbian.  I got
> all of the usual tools working in short order (VNC, SSH, FTP,...).
>
> Then I decided to build a completely new version of FreePascal and
> Lazarus from source (just to prove that I can ;-) ), but I can't compile
> any style of fpc 3.0.0 from:
>
>     svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0_rc2 fpc2
>     svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0_rc1 fpc1
>     svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/branches/fixes_3_0 fpc
>
> I am using fpc 2.6.4 as the bootstrap compiler.

make sure you start off with a binary tailored for the Rpi. I think that
the last time I started from scratch I got it from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mseide-msegui/files/fpcarm/

Current Raspbian provides the necessary prerequisites, but you might
need to tweak fpc.cfg or provide an explicit -Fl.

> The compilation then ran to completion but the build failed because
> "Binary files ppp3 and ppcarm differ".  (Why there are two executables
> and what it means that they are different is beyond me :-[ ).

Because the standard build checks that repeated recompilations are
substantially the same.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk