[Lazarus] New menu designer

taazz taz at evosi.eu
Wed Dec 23 08:54:39 CET 2015

> Thanks for explanation.
>
> What I don't like on fsStayOnTop is the fact that fsStayOnTop-Window
> wants to stay on top of all windows - also those from other
> applications. This is IMO a seriously bad UI design.
stayontop is bad design for anything period. there was one single use
case a couple of years back on installation applications that made sense
which is no longer valid.

> I know that Delphi behaves the same but then we need some FormStyle
> that makes the window stay only on top of its application windows and
> not system-wide.

No it does not, delphi's 2007 menu designer never stays on top outside
the application it self and never looses its position regardless of how
many times you change between delphi and other applications.

> E.g. I am writing now this email. I open Menu designer in Lazarus and
> then switch back to my email program - the email program is covered by
> the menu designer from Lazarus, which is absolutely not OK in my eyes.
>
> Bad :( The PopupMode should solve the problem.
No, pmauto will autoselect the applications main form as popupparent you
need to set the formdesigner as the popupparrent for all the component
designers (menu, stringgrid, collections etc). This way double clicking
an event will hide the designers which will be back on top when you
focus the form designer.

> On Win32 it works well with PopupMode=pmAuto. On my testing Linux/Gtk2
> system it works the same with pmNode and pmAuto - it correctly shows
> the "Checkmark and radioitem properties" dialog above Menu designer.
> What OS/WS are you seeing the problem?

Yes and no depends heavily which is the main form and how it changes
between versions.