[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.6RC1 on various platforms

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Dec 25 15:22:51 CET 2015

Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
> <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
>> Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>> The good news is that it builds with FPC 3.0.0 on:
>>>
>>> PPC Linux, Debian "Lenny"
>>> Raspbian "Jessie" on RPi2
>>> SPARC OpenSXCE 2014 (approx. Solaris 11)
>>> SPARC Linux, Debian "Squeeze"
>>> x86 linux, Debian "Lenny" and "Jessie"
>>> x86_64 linux, Debian "Jessie"
>>
>> Also on straight Raspberry Pi Debian (i.e. not Raspbian) from
>> http://sjoerd.luon.net/posts/2015/02/debian-jessie-on-rpi2/
>>
>> An earlier attempt at this wouldn't compile Lazarus, this time I used the
>> notes at https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/apds03.html.en as a
>> checklist for what needs to be on the system, I think the really important
>> thing was the console-setup package which looks like it's needed even if the
>> idea is to run the system headless.
>
> I am not sure if you saw this :
>  http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,30500.msg194271.html
> Apparently FPC works with MIPS but Lazarus does not. Do you have
> experience with MIPS?

I've mentioned this problem in the past unfortunately, but I'm slightly
hobbled here in that while I've got a couple of SGI systems with IRIX
the only MIPS Linux I'm able to run is based on Qemu. Two or three years
ago one of the vendors here promised to send me a netbook but it didn't
materialise, and quite frankly I have very limited resources when it
comes to going out and buying new hardware just in case it turns out to
be useful.

> I may join the effort later and get a MIPS Creator to see why Lazarus
> does not work.
> However I am quite a newbie in compiling FPC for different
> architechtures. Let's see...

I think a Creator is definitely worth looking at very carefully, and I'd
add that MIPS is aware of FPC even if not currently (as far as I know)
on the list or active in the forum. The RPi has some nice features but
once one starts to do real work with it some decidedly dodgy ones become
apparent, like almost all I/O traffic going through a single USB connection.

As a general point, for anything like this it's worth having an FTDI (or
whatever) USB -> 5V serial adapter so that if it has a pre-boot menu
etc. you can get to it.

> Anyway, I appreciate your work with unusual platforms and CPU
> endiannes issues + patches.

Thanks :-) The way I look at it is that some architectures- e.g. Linux
SPARC- exercise the code generator a bit more than others on account of
things like alignment requirements- hence in particular Mantis 22696
that I mentioned a few days ago. Looks like SPARC-64 Debian will be
usable imminently...

> Different gadgets and so called TV-boxes can do personal computing
> more and more in future. Their CPU and OS selection varies a lot.
> BTW, I personally have an Intel-based passively cooled ASRock Beebox
> as my main computer now. I am amazed every day about this gadget!

Agreed. Meanwhile I'm still tinkering with my mainframe emulator: 1MHz
CPU clock, 4-6 uSec core memory and so on. It really does emphasise how
far we've come :-)

Waiting for various things to happen here, but meanwhile
http://xkcd.com/679/ enjoy.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk