[Lazarus] Developing on Linux with files on Windows NTFS

Donald Ziesig donald at ziesig.org
Thu Feb 5 16:53:40 CET 2015

Hi All!

I have been trying to develop a multi-platform app with the IDE on Linux
(MInt) and the source files on a Windows NTFS partition.   I build and
test on windows but my primary work is done on linux so I don't stay
logged in to windows very long.

The problem I am having is that the Linux version of the IDE seems to
get confused by windows time stamps (at least that's what the symptoms
suggest).  When I save an edited file (either code or form), the IDE
frequently (but not always) opens a copy of that file in a separate tab
and complains when I edit and save one of the two instances.  It
sometimes deletes the most recent edit, other times the obsolete file.

I haven't found a windows driver for ext4 that doesn't warn of potential
corruption of the ext4 file system, otherwise I would develop with the
source on linux and occasionally build on windows.

One alternative is to keep the master source on linux and copy it all to
NTFS when I build/test on windows, but that has its own set of issues.

Has anyone had any success in using common storage for multi-platform
source code?  If so, how do you do it?

Thanks,

Don Ziesig
'