[Lazarus] Embedded/small database

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 17:26:00 CET 2015

Hi guys,

I asked advice a long time ago on a small/embedded database that could be
used for a desktop application and distributed by CD as part of the
application.I got a variety of answers including mySQL, sqlite and others.
At the time I was very partial to somehow using postgreSQL, because I had
had good experiences with it in the past and also because of postGIS (the
application should include a spatial/GIS component). But it looks like
setting up postgreSQL with a pre-existing database from the CD and all the
actual data, taking into account whether the desktop already has postgreSQL
installed and simply the size of postgreSQL (and running it as a service),
makes it not such a good fit for my application. I want the app to be
simple and quick to install and use for end-users.

I have decided to go with good old dbase (.dbf files), simply because this
is what many GIS's use, at least for their non-spatial data. I have three
questions:
1. What is your opinion on dbase for this use case? It will be a personal
Decision Support System/Expert System that will use a combination of
pre-compiled data (stored in the database during installation) and data
entered by the user (added to the database during use). I would like things
like referential integrity etc. to work as it should in a database, even
though it is small. What would be you alternatives and why?
2. What tool would you recommend for actually creating the database,
integrity etc.? I used Borland Database Engine all those years ago (it came
with Delphi), but suppose there should be better (and open source) options
now. MyDBF Studio? Or something else?
3. I see on the wiki that there are still issues with the TDbf component
for Lazarus. What would be the best option to access the .DBF files? (And
why?)

Thanks again,
Chavoux