[Lazarus] Guide: Making Free Pascal and Lazarus from sources

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 10:43:31 CET 2015

Hi Anthony,

On 08/02/15 17:15, Anthony Walter wrote:
> Michael, from my script:
>
> # Note we use our bucket instead of sourceforge or svn for the following
> # reason:
> #   It would be unethical to leach other peoples bandwidth and data
> #   transfer charges. As such, we rehost the same fpc stable binary, fpc
> #   test sources, and lazarus test sources from sourceforge and free
> #   pascal svn servers using our own Amazon S3 bucket.
>
> # Download from our Amazon S3 bucket
> URL=http://cache.getlazarus.org/archives

I can't help but think this is a bit misguided...

say, if 100 people use your site to download and install Lazarus & FPC,
that still amounts to 1 download off the official FPC & Lazarus sites...

this would mean for FPC & Lazarus that download statistics will be shifted
away from them to your site. If something is unethical, then /this/ is - unless
you provide the original site back with your statistics...

(while I never got to use it, Reinier's fpcup I think always downloaded from original URLs?)

Also while I'm not totally questioning your approach, I think your effort should
be integrated into existing Lazarus & FPC project pages, if only for that reason.

Also I for one would be probably more happy to see your site to be more (visually, logically)
like a mirror of existing Lazarus & FPC's services.

(and, oh, sorry, I don't read forum posts unless I don't absolutely HAVE TO, so if any of
those concerns were covered on forums, then please point me & disregard the above ;) )

Kind Regards

el es