[Lazarus] Examples of CairoCanvas usage

Tue Feb 10 11:20:25 CET 2015

On 2015-02-10 09:42, Juha Manninen wrote:

> I did not know of such PDF engine. So far I know that PowerPdf lib is limited.

That's normally the case - the internet is full of unknown gems. :) A
couple months back somebody asked about PDF engines in one of the
mailing lists. I posted the few I knew about after I did my own
research. PowerPDF was not that great.

> What about font embedding and Unicode support in PDF?

Both supported.

> What is the best way to test it? From fpGUI or from FPC trunk?

To be honest, I haven't tried the one Michael created yet. He just asked
me how to get in contact with the original author for the PDF engine
included with fpGUI so he could ask permission and credit him. Michael
is probably the best person to answer questions about the one in FPC trunk.

The engine in fpGUI has a very small dependency on fpGUI, but that is
very easy to refactor and abstract out. A few minutes work at best. The
dependency is mainly due to the "print preview" window functionality.

fpGUI includes a PDF demo:  <fpgui>/examples/gui/reporting/

The demo shows single & multiple pages, sections, graphs, outlines,
grids, embedded images and font support. It can also preset viewing
preferences when viewing with Adobe Acrobat Reader or compatible viewers.

> Does your version have many dependencies for other parts of fpGUI?

No. It is 100% implemented in Object Pascal, and I would estimate 95% is
all non-gui code. As I mentioned, it is pretty much only the print
preview window which ties it to fpGUI.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/