[Lazarus] Examples of CairoCanvas usage

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Feb 10 13:27:46 CET 2015

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2015-02-10 09:42, Juha Manninen wrote:
>>
>> I did not know of such PDF engine. So far I know that PowerPdf lib is limited.
>
> That's normally the case - the internet is full of unknown gems. :) A
> couple months back somebody asked about PDF engines in one of the
> mailing lists. I posted the few I knew about after I did my own
> research. PowerPDF was not that great.
>
>> What about font embedding and Unicode support in PDF?
>
> Both supported.
>

>> What is the best way to test it? From fpGUI or from FPC trunk?
>
> To be honest, I haven't tried the one Michael created yet. He just asked
> me how to get in contact with the original author for the PDF engine
> included with fpGUI so he could ask permission and credit him. Michael
> is probably the best person to answer questions about the one in FPC trunk.

It is a completely reworked version of the one in fpGUI, without external
dependencies but with serious improvements: the font embedding in the fpgui
version is, well, rudimentary, so that has been completely reworked,
it can now embed fonts on-the-fly, without external tools :)

I also made a start of improving memory usage, page caching and made
the start for compression.

I haven't committed the reworked version yet, but it is nearly complete,
so you can expect this soon.

Michael.