[Lazarus] How to access libraries from other languages?

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 20:52:03 CET 2015

Hi again...

From: Den <cyraid at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Lazarus] How to access libraries from other languages?
> To: lazarus at lists.lazarus.freepascal.org
>
>      Indeed.. It's no easy task for sure.  Sven would have to implement
> all features of the C++ Class that C++ supports.  I'm guessing Sven is
> gonna go with the basic VMT C++ support, which would probably include
> virtual method overriding, am I right Sven?
>
> - Dennis
>
> On 2015-02-16 04:19 AM, zeljko wrote:
> > On 02/16/2015 11:08 AM, Sven Barth wrote:
> >> Am 16.02.2015 08:35 schrieb "zeljko" <zeljko at holobit.net
> >> <mailto:zeljko at holobit.net>>:
> >>  >
> >>  > On 02/16/2015 08:04 AM, Sven Barth wrote:
> >>  >>
> >>  >> Am 16.02.2015 04:48 schrieb "Den" <cyraid at gmail.com
> >> <mailto:cyraid at gmail.com>
> >>  >> <mailto:cyraid at gmail.com <mailto:cyraid at gmail.com>>>:
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  >
> >>  >>  > lol, speaking of which Sven, what's the progress report on the
> >> C++
> >>  >> Classes? :D
> >>  >>
> >>  >> Currently not working on it. Generics and packages have higher
> >> priority.
> >>  >> But I plan to continue it especially since the API of our
> >> company's OS
> >>  >> is C++ based ^^
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  > That will be the one of the greatest features :)
> >>
> >> Don't look forward to it too much. It will likely only work for simple
> >> cases. E.g. once a C++ class uses operators (without providing the
> >> functionality in other ways) it will likely break down...
> >
> > I thought that it'll really work. Without ability to override virtual
> > methods it's unuseable for me.

I was maybe thinking more low-level (e.g. when using a compiled C++ library
without the source code)? All C++ class methods are translated into
(mangled) functions in any case, so as long as Lazarus can wrap these as
methods in a class of its own it should work? It should even be possible to
wrap 2 or 3 C++ classes into one Lazarus class?

Cheers and thanks for the insights so far.
Chavoux