[Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.4

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Feb 17 14:02:09 CET 2015

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:42:42 +0100
JuuS <JuuS at mykolab.ch> wrote:

>[...]
> I have Lazarus 1.2.6 installed now and I would like to install RC1 to a
> separate directory structure.
>
> I've downloaded the 3 fpc/laz RC1 DEB files and am ready to go except:

Lazarus 1.2.6 and 1.4 use the same compiler. If you installed 1.2.6
from our sourceforge site, then you only need to update the lazarus
deb. It doesn't hurt to install the fpc debs though. deb is clever
enough to figure it out.
Note: In a few months FPC 3.0 will be released. The following
Lazarus 1.4.x release will use that.

> I'm working in Kubuntu 14.04.
>
> I'm new-ish with Linux, and with DEB packages before this I've simply
> right clicked and allowed the system to install them. I assume this will
> overwrite my existing Laz install. So how do I use the deb file such
> that I consistently get the packages into a new directory structure that
> will work separately from 1.2.6? using a dpkg switch?

These deb files are not made for parallel installation.

As always: Before installing a new Lazarus version make a backup of your
"~/.lazarus" directory.

Installing the 1.4 deb will replace the old 1.2.6.
You can downgrade by installing the 1.2.6 deb.
When starting the IDE it will give you an "upgrade" or "downgrade"
message. Note that "downgrade" from 1.4 to 1.2.x may loose some
settings.

You can install a second Lazarus version in parallel. Do you want that?

Mattias