[Lazarus] Multi-Device Designer

Wed Feb 25 11:49:36 CET 2015

On 2015-02-25 10:40, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 02/25/2015 11:35 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> Is the LCL-CustomDrawn widgetset maybe meant as the target for FMX
>> compatibility?
> Do you think it _should_ ?

I honestly don't know what LCL-CustomDrawn is targeting. It also isn't
in a usable state at the moment and still needs a lot of development
before it is usable.

> Do you see a real advantage with FireMonkey ?

Well, considering that VCL is _very_ Windows specific, Delphi needed
something different to target other platforms. FireMonkey toolkit was
their ticket.  CLX could also have been their answer (as Qt runs on
pretty much every platform out there), but Borland/CodeGear/EMB long
forgot about CLX.

> In fact, AFAIK, the FM library once was a freely available library that
> should be usable with fpc.

I'm pretty sure FMX now uses many Delphi specific features that wouldn't
make it compilable with FPC any more. I also don't know (but would like
to find out) if Delphi includes full source code of FMX - in case
somebody wanted to try and do a personal port to FPC.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/