[Lazarus] Multi-Device Designer

Wed Feb 25 12:43:12 CET 2015

On 2015-02-25 11:26, Michael Schnell wrote:
>> Well, considering that VCL is _very_ Windows specific,
> IMHO the LCL proves that close to all VCL features can be done as good
> (or even better) with other Widgets sets than just "Windows".

I agree that the Lazarus team did a very good job, but I still consider
the LCL design to Windows centric (by looking at what I had to implement
to get LCL-fpGUI to work). And as you might guess, the reason I started
fpGUI Toolkit is because LCL was (and still is - in my opinion) too
limiting for some of the application I had to develop over the last 5
years. Your mileage my vary.

> Borland failed with trying to port the VCL with Kylix,

No, they failed to market Kylix correctly, thus lost interest too
quickly. To date there are still companies [though getting less] like
Scooter Software that use Kylix and CLX. The Kylix IDE was a bigger
problem than the actual CLX toolkit.

Either way, we are straying from the topic at hand.

> I can't think of any language features that would make this necessary.

I guess the only way to find out is to buy a copy of XE7 and try to
compile FMX with FPC.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/