[Lazarus] CHM help age and readmechm.txt in a fresh installation

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jan 22 10:33:54 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 04:20:45PM +0100, Kostas Michalopoulos wrote:
> Which is why i'm asking, shouldn't those be generated automatically for
> each build?

Currently the makefile for FPC docs is Unix centric. Which is somewhat
clumsy for a windows build. I also think it is not necessary.

The day-by-day maintenance would be much more work then it is worth IMHO.
Even if I would propose automated builds, I would decouple docs and
snapshot/release generation.
(no snapshot generation because the docs didn't build?)

But in general it is simply a symptom of not doing continuous documentation
work, not procedures or whatever. It is simpler to make sure the CHMs are up
to date once a release then keeping a more complete build system running on
a day by day basis.

p.s. Note that a good sign of seeing if the lcl.chm is any good is to see if
the links from the lcl.chm to the rtl/fcl chms are working. Otherwise it is
probably a test build