[Lazarus] Lazarus project compile flags

Toan Pham tpham3783 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 00:09:11 CET 2015

Mattias,

Autotool, cmake and pkgconfig are tools for configuring and building C/C++
projects.
The tools are very helpful because they allow the developers/software
builders to detect software dependencies, version requirements, and also
configure software features at build-time.  For example,
let's say we want to build gtk-2, we would do the following steps:

1.  Download the source code & unzip it
2.  We want to configure it, without opengl support (just to illustrate
this example)
     ./configure --disable-opengl

3.  When we do this, auto-tool would call pkg-config (another utility), and
see if it has libcairo version 2.1 and freefont library version 1.1 (for
example).

4.  If the dependencies are satisfied, pkg-config also tells auto-tool
where to look for the libraries, by giving the CFLAGS and LFLAGS

in a nutshell, that's how it works.  At first, the process looks like there
is alot of work to build a package; but in practice;
its a standard way to build software, and it becomes very easier to manage
when one has to build a linux distribution.

Object pascal and Lazarus projects are a little bit different.  I normally
build those projects manually with lazarus.  lazbuild is nice, but it
encapsulates many features from developers.  I understand you can use -k
option to pass options to the linker etc...  But let say, you have 200+
pascal programs and libraries, how are you build them effective?

You may think lazbuild is the solution; but let's say if you are a linux
distributor and you have to build 200+ projects and libraries for different
architectures, lazbuild may not be enough.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de