[Lazarus] Tracking software useage

Thu Jul 23 19:01:22 CEST 2015

On 2015-07-23 17:40, waldo kitty wrote:
> if you really desire this information, make it configurable so that those who
> don't care can enable it if they like... it should be disabled by default, though...

+1
I don't like "call home" software either.

On a side note:
We did once, for internal franchise testing only, added Google Analytics
[yes, what you normally use for websites ;-) ] into our desktop
application. Different areas of our desktop application was tracked like
different web pages in a website. :)  Our product was a total rewrite of
a previous version with lots of redesigned areas. We wanted to collect
data to see what areas in the new program is used a lot, what isn't etc.
That way we could tweak the user interface based on where our
franchisees get "stuck" or missing out on useful features.  We did give
them training, but you know how it goes.... in by the one ear, out by
the other. :)

Regards,
  - Graeme -