[Lazarus] Protocol Buffers

"Leonardo M. Ramé" l.rame at griensu.com
Sat Jul 25 22:26:21 CEST 2015

On 25/07/15 08:17, Aradeonas wrote:
> Leonardo can you explain where you can use it?
>
> Regards,
> Ara

Currently one of my apps is sending JSON files to a server, with a
structure similar to this:

{
   "document_name": "doc 1",
   "document_type": "pdf",
   "content": BASE64_ENCODED_PDF
}

Where BASE64_ENCODED_PDF is an binary file that must be converted to
base64 to be included into a json field.

The base64 encoding/decoding carries both processor and transfer size
overhead, compared to a binary protocol.

Of course I could have created my own proprietary protocol, but I have
some constraints, for example, the sender is a Java application, and the
receiver is a FreePascal one, so, using a "standard" protocol, like
Google's Protocol Buffers seems to fit very well in this particular
scenario.

Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com