[Lazarus] MariaDB access - modifying the MySQL56Connection component

Susie Nicol susie.k.nicol at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 07:59:57 CEST 2015

Hi

This question has obviously been asked many times before, but I am having
trouble dealing with the answers.

I run MariaDB, rather than MYSQL, using OpenSUSE 13.2, with Lazarus 1.4,
Free Pascal 2.6.4, downloaded from Sourceforge. I have the usual issue
getting a database connection: "TMySQL56Connection can not work with the
installed MySQL client version: Expected (5.6), got (10.0.13-MariaDB)"

There's a diff associated with the bug report at
http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=26620 which I have attempted to
apply, without success.

What I tried was:

 - patch
/usr/share/fpsrc/2.6.4/packages/fcl-db/src/sqldb/mysql/mysqlconn.inc as in
the diff
 - rebuilt, using the Makefile in that directory
 - within Lazarus, rebuilt the IDE.

This hasn't achieved anything. I get the same error, which presumably means
I have missed out some steps.

I'm starting to find the documentation wiki "a mass of twisted passages,
all alike". Is there a simple explanation of what I have missed?

TIA
Susie
---
Susie Nichol