[Lazarus] fast mathematical matrix operations

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 13:04:36 CEST 2015

Chris Kelling wrote:
> Pascal in general hasn't handled math in an effeceint way. Factorial is a prime example. I would assume that even a 2 dimensial matrix bigger than 10x10 would choke most processes.

I don't think this has much to do with Pascal, it's entirely down to the
selection of a suitable algorithm. If you can highlight areas where
(Free) Pascal's parameter passing etc. is deficient I'm sure we're all
interested to discuss it.

> It sounds like you would need something made for mathmatical processing like fortran or even lisp. However, taking advantage of parallel processing may give you the speed you are looking for.

Lisp? LISP?? I'd have thought that the last possible thing that would
have been useful would have been a pure functional system with
occasional "time out" for garbage collection. Now granted that Lisp etc.
was instrumental in popularising analogues of map and reduce, but for
something like brute-force maths, possibly involving OpenMPI etc., there
are more efficient ways of partitioning large chunks of data.

Dmath and mrmath look interesting, subject obviously to accuracy as well
as speed: I've played with matrix stuff in the past which haemorrhaged
digits as soon as you started looking at 1000x1000 or so.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk