[Lazarus] Docked Form

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich2 at gmx.de
Sat Jun 13 12:18:37 CEST 2015

Am 13.06.2015 um 11:41 schrieb Juha Manninen:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
> <DrDiettrich2 at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Two problems with docking:
>> 1) Delphi-docking is not well supported, else the IDE DockManager could be
>> used.
>> 2) The IDE has much code for window placement, all over, instead of a common
>> window layout manager.
> A docking API is a good idea. I think Maciej had similar idea with his
> ToolsAPI thing.
Docking is only one special method for adding, removing or rearranging
components. The basic API will arrange, measure and resize child
components, according to its own rules, when told to do so. See the Java
layout managers, which can be selected independently into any container
control. It should not be hard to work out an according API, the problem
is to make e.g. AnchorDocking work as such a selectable layout manager.
> Dodi, I remember you patches were rejected because they did not work.
Perhaps the patches were already outdated when supplied, but they worked
on my system. Who can tell which concurrent changes will affect some
code, unless the functional responsibilities and interaction of parts of
the affected code is well defined?
> They were more like shooting around blindly.
They may *look* so, in detail the IDE patches, but how would you start
adding an manager to previously unorganized code?

DoDi