[Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Jun 17 12:16:15 CEST 2015

Michael Schnell wrote:

> He also wants to use closed source 3rd party stuff and want to impose
> copy protection to his projects. All that is rather queer with an open
> source IDE.

Why? It's not as though he's trying to add non-open components to the
published IDE and expecting other people to use them, and since there's
no requirement to publish stuff you build using an "open" license (GPL
etc.) I don't see that putting copy protection on it makes any
difference at all.

The format of binary-distributed libraries etc. could prove to be more
of a problem, and consulting Jonas et al. in the fpc-pascal mailing list
might be necessary. However I would say that while I recognise that
changing the protection "dongle" is obviously a non-starter, I'd be very
suspicious of any protection scheme which relies on unpublished source
code: such a thing would smack of "security by obscurity" which is
universally considered to be a Bad Thing.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk