[Lazarus] Firebird DB replication options

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jun 19 21:08:38 CEST 2015

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [Apologies in advance - I know this is not a Firebird list, but here are
> many Firebird DB users that could possibly comment.]
>
> Has anybody here used any Firebird database replication software?
>
> I've been reading up on it a bit, and there seems to be more options
> available that I expected. Has anybody tried any of them, and could
> possibly give some comment.

Do you want replication or clustering ?

I have looked into this problem several times.

>From my point of view, all of these solutions suffer from the same problems:
a) they slow down the database.
and
b) if the database structure changes often, it is a pain to maintain.

The only correct way to implement this is in the server engine itself;
until that is done, these are crude and makeshift solutions.
(e.g. Postgres got it correct with their 'slony' replication)

IMHO You're better of using nbackup to rebuild the database remotely.
At the very least, that requires no extra triggers, log tables and
whatnot, and will not slow down the database.

If your database structure is fixed, you don't update very often, the tools you mention can be acceptable.
If so, then I'd recommend going with the firebird native tools, such as ibreplicator.

Michael.