[Lazarus] Thread based timer vs TTimer

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Jun 23 15:35:33 CEST 2015

On 06/23/2015 01:57 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> I've done that in fpGUI because not everybody wants to use threads in
> theire software. So now the developer has a choice.

Great !

IMHO a decent TApplication needs support as well for Timers as for
Threads, including Application.QueueAsyncCall.

That is why I did the ActiveNoGUI "interface" unit. It seems to work
quite well. Its rather lightweight and no OS or Arch depending code is
used, so it should be portable without a hassle

(For Application.QueueAsyncCall) it needs a version of fpc with an rtl
that supports TThread.Queue.

I don't know if a "standard" Lazarus installation will already have
this. I need to check some day soon. After that it should be no big deal
to make it selectable as yet another Widget Type.

-Michael