[Lazarus] How to write an eficient lexical scanner/parser?

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 19:15:40 CET 2015

This is a classic series of articles that show how to write a very simple
compiler in Turbo Pascal. The fundamentals when it comes to scanning are
the same:

http://compilers.iecc.com/crenshaw/

I've also written a BASIC implementation for Free Pascal and Lazarus. The
scanner should be straightforward to understand:

http://runtimelegend.com/rep/rbasic/artifact/2350e85c36a77e4d2d76adde23fd7d45731b5b22

The compiler code shows how it can be used:
http://runtimelegend.com/rep/rbasic/artifact/93859f52fd424edfc1e0d5dfd16a92ed8ac04855

But you may also find the formatter code simpler. Although it is a bit too
simple:
http://runtimelegend.com/rep/rbasic/artifact/f3e9fb2d1ed8e60d36b50754c2d9a7d7c109fc40

For general theory you can look on recursive descent parsers (they're the
simplest to implement and AFAIK most compilers use them, either to build
the token list or directly).