[Lazarus] Package dialog ?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:12:49 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> What is the rationale for duplicating the 'Add' button in the package dialog?

It solved this and many other complaints about usability :

> The buttons as they are now are highly confusing. I preferred the old system
> where there was only 1 button. That was clear and intuitive.

The old system was also far from intuitive. You needed at least 7
clicks to add one existing file.
What more, there was a filter which prevented adding some files, but
didn't give any feedback.
The filter is still there in the "Add Files" feature.
Then d'n'd was implemented and added files without using that filter.
I added the button which opens a standard file open dialog and is
consistent with d'n'd and shares some code with it.

> If you really want to add a button (I will not argue that point, clearly
> someone thought it was necessary), then please give them a very distinctive
> look.
> [...]

True, it is not perfect.
My plan is to remove the "Add files in Directory" feature, or to move
it to the "More >>" menu. It is needed extremely seldom.
The standard file open dialog lets you select many files in one
directory. If you have many directories then you must repeat it which
is not a problem typically.

How to make it truly intuitive? I am NOT happy with the current
situation either.
The features "Add Editor Files" and "New Requirement" in Project
Inspector, and "New File", "New Component" and "New Requirement" in
Package Editor should have buttons right next to the (new) "Add"
button.
The old "Add Files" tab can be moved somewhere.
Then it makes sense to split the buttons into 2 rows and maybe use
TCoolBar. Then the icons must be distinctive indeed.
What do you think?

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:04 AM, zeljko <zeljko at holobit.net> wrote:
> It is very unpleasant solution. Besides that with that "All >>" you can add
> only directory with all files and then you must delete all except that one
> file. With "All" you are adding only one file. Very confusing. Don't know
> why anyone changed that. That should be simple, only one dialog where Add
> units/files should have two buttons: "Add file(s)" and "Add dir(all files)".

I guess you mean "Add" and "Add ..." buttons.
The standard file open dialog has multi-select enabled. It is not only
for a single file.
What if you ignore the "Add Files" tab in the "other items" dialog?
Pretend it does not exist.
It is a little better already, right?

Juha