[Lazarus] IBUS warning

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Fri Mar 27 13:07:56 CET 2015

ibus is an input method. If it's enabled (i.e. if the ibus-daemon is
running) it will intercept anything coming from the keyboard, to any
application. It's not Lazarus calling ibus explicitly: simply attempting
to read user keyboard input gets ibus in the way.

The annoying thing is that if the daemon is running, the default
shortcut to activate it is ctrl-space, which is also the Lazarus
shortcut for command completion.

On RH related distros (Fedora, CentOs, etc.) ibus is not enabled by
default, unless you select as a system language one which requires an
input method (such as chinese). It would appear that other distros, such
as Ubuntu do enable it by default, which is rather stupid, because when
unnecessary you have it in the way.

If you manage to find how the ibus-daemon is started in your environment
(/etc/init.d or some upstart service), you may turn it off permanently.
As an alternative you may try with ibus-setup to change its activation
shortcut from ctrl-space to some unused key combination (sort of
ctrl-alt-Backspace or something like that) so that it doesn't interfere
with Lazarus shortcuts.

Giuliano