[Lazarus] Fugue icons for LHelp?

Howard Page-Clark hdpc at talktalk.net
Thu May 14 01:48:03 CEST 2015

On 13/05/2015 23:38, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Please give opinions about new proposed icons for LHelp.
> See issue :
>    http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=28072
> There is a screenshot.

I'm perhaps just rather dense - but I don't find any of these icons
enhances my use of LHelp, because I don't know what any of the icons
means, and to me they are not self-explanatory.

Why do any of them have a "?" Does this mean that the content they mark
is incomplete (possible, but unlikely)? Or is it just a generic marker
for "help content" (totally pointless, if that is the case)... or does
it signify something else entirely?

The small triangular chevron icons already indicate when a chapter is
opened/closed. So a second icon to indicate this is redundant, if that
is the case.

When travelling, the better maps I use include a legend somewhere to
explain what each map symbol indicates (in case it is not clear, or not
self-evident). To me, information of that sort is far more important
than which colour(s) are best, a question on which there can be little
objectivity, only a multitude of differing personal preferences.

For someone (like me) with poor eyesight, icons that are subtly
different (e.g. a faint blue question mark as opposed to a very faint
blue question mark) are almost indistinguishable, and rather annoying,
since if I have to rely on identifying the right one to pick (say) the
right line, it gives me a headache.

I wish I could be more positive, and I do genuinely welcome people's
efforts to improve aspects of the user interface. So I'm just trying to
offer honest feedback. Apologies if you wanted this posted on Mantis.

Howard

---