[Lazarus] Using event driven components in console application

JuuS JuuS at mykolab.ch
Wed Nov 4 11:28:59 CET 2015

On 11/04/2015 09:48 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> When building the IDE you'd normally use  make bigide  or similar which
> would use the platform defaults, but depending on what libraries etc.
> were available you could also use e.g.  make LCL_PLATFORM=qt bigide

Hi,

This question / discussion is also very interesting to me (warning
possible dumb questions ahead).

I am still very vague on the widget type/set in my gnu/linux education.
I'm kub14.04, the ide then uses gtk2, all automatic.

But my questions are:

Why would I want to use qt, gtk3, etc? Yes, of course for different
platforms but which platforms (Fedora? Debian? ?? ).

Does this mean then that what I have developed in gtk2 will ==NOT== run
properly in some gnu-L flavours? Which ones? How do I tell?

I guess setting up VMs for my targets is a good solution to find out if
there is a problem but I can't always tell which widgetset is right for
which flavour...?

I have googled this before but have found nothing that has enlightened me.

Thanks for any info.

Julius