[Lazarus] Using event driven components in console application

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 15:23:51 CET 2015

JuuS wrote:

> Excellent research, I see you've tracked this issue for a long time.

Not so much that, but my colleagues and I have a fairly wide range of OS
versions etc. and there are one or two programs that I really do want to
run on just about anything (e.g. one that handles cut-and-paste over the
LAN).

I've also written a very small amount of stuff that potentially I want
to be able to send to anybody with confidence that any version of
Lazarus will be able to read the forms and any version of FPC will be
able to compile it. In most cases that's doable, provided that one's
careful about exactly what gets put into svn.

In addition to form (.lfm etc.) compatibility, there's a couple of
"gotchas" that's deserve comment. The first is that TNotebook (and
related components) got a major workover somewhere around Lazarus 1.0,
in general problems can be sorted by RTTI etc. It's worth noting as a
related issue that the introduction of frames required a compiler
facility that for a long time was only in a development version: if you
put frames in a notebook, you'll have problems supporting really old
versions.

The second is that SynEdit got some internal changes, and if you want to
do anything that involves reaching below the surface I think you have to
use compile-time conditionals rather than RTTI. That's one reason that I
  did the work to find out what compiler versions worked with which
LCLs, expect problems around 0.9.28.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk