[Lazarus] Encoding with SDF dataset

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Thu Nov 5 14:25:15 CET 2015

On Mi, 2015-11-04 at 19:01 +0100, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when trying to us a TSdfDataset connected to a TDatasource and a
> TDBGrid, only some unicode symbols are shown (those little squares
> holding four tiny numbers) for string data.
>
> The data files are encoded iso-8859 but I have found no switch for
> setting the encoding of TDataSource or TSdfDataset. When loading a
> TFileStream is used, but I did not find a property or method for
> changing the encoding on the fly in it, either.
>
> How can I fix it?

Digging some TSream*-Classes in Unit Classes I think one way to go would
be to make a TString-descendant of some type, maybe TCustomMemoryStream
or TStringStream and add a method "ReadUTF8()" or similar. Or directly
override the Read()-Method for returning converted Strings.

Still hoping for a more simple solution, any ideas or hints?

TIA,
Marc

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>