[Lazarus] Video: Docked Designer Test

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Nov 23 14:06:29 CET 2015

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015, Sven Barth wrote:

> Am 23.11.2015 12:35 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys" <
> mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk>:
>>
>> On 2015-11-23 10:40, Anthony Walter wrote:
>>> I did some testing with the new sparta docked form designer on OSX.
> here is
>>> a video clip of it in action:
>>
>> May I make a suggestion. Why not automatically place non-visual
>> components (eg: TOpenDialog, TSaveDialog etc) in a dedicated non-visual
>> area outside the designed form: eg: in a panel above the "Code,
>> Designer" tabs shown in the video. It could even be order alphabetically.
>>
>> I never understood why non-visual components lived inside the designer
>> form at a specific x,y position - cluttering up your designer form. Even
>> the streaming had to be "hacked" to support a fake x,y position for
>> these non-visual components.

The reason is simple: there was/is no other place where to put them.

> I agree with Graeme. At least as an option :)

Not so fast. This is a can of worms you maybe don't want to open:

I don't use the docked designer. I most likely never will.

So if someone using the docked form designer has put the non-visual
components outside the docked form, and I then subsequently open this form,
what will happen ? Where will you put it ?

In yet another window ? I hope not.
In the component tree ? I don't use that, it is hidden.

There are always more angles to a problem than you may have considered.

Michael.