[Lazarus] Which program type to select for cron usage?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 10:47:56 CEST 2015

I am finally ready to start creating my FPC/Lazarus control
application based on a number of Delphi support units. The application
is meant to be started on a Raspberry Pi2 by cron every minute or so
and basically check if there is something to do and if not just exit.
But if there is stuff to do it will create the needed control objects
and start communicating with a data collection instrument to manage
its measuring sequence.
As far as I am concerned the program will have no user interface
whatever but it will need to be running on command from cron and it
must also detect if it has already started (some hints on this has
been given in earlier threads).
Anyway, Lazarus gives a number of non-GUI selections for the new
project:

1) Simple Program (A most simple FP command line program)
2) Program (A FP cmd line program with some useful settings added)
3) Console App (A FP cmd line program using TCustomApplication..)

I will probably need to use threads inside the program so I guess that
2 or 3 would be the appropriate selection.
Is there something else that may affect the decision?
And what is the best selection between Program and Console
Application?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden