[Lazarus] Linux Window Manager Enhancements

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:05:46 CET 2015

Does anyone have experience or interest in enhancing window management
support for Linux with Lazarus?

I was reading up on the window management systems for Linux like Compiz,
KWin, Xcfe and found they and many other support a common protocol for
doing things like:

* altering window z-order
* making window sticky or above
* switching windows between desktop
* listing desktops
* adding or removing desktops
* switching between desktop
* listing windows
* resizing windows
* activating and deactiving windows for user input

... and more

The program wmctrl is an example of such how functionality can be
administered programatically.

I think it would be very useful if some of these functionality could be
brought into Lazarus, especially in areas with Lazarus which don't work as
desired (Application.BringToFront) on some Linux systems.

A specification for administering these tasks on X windows is NetWM. Here
is some reference material if anyone cares to look at it.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Window_Manager_Hints
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/netwm_8h.html

Maybe we can add this type of functionality to a Lazarus package and
perhaps use it to plug a few holes with LCL on Linux.

or

Maybe we can use this type of functionality to increase our programatic
access to window management on Linux.

A penny for your thoughts.