[Lazarus] High-DPI aware LCL ?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:04:08 CEST 2015

http://www.pushing-pixels.org/2011/11/04/about-those-vector-icons.html ?

> I'm well aware of the fact [issue] that large icons normally use large
> detail and small icons should use less. But that comes down to the fact
> of how the designer designs the icons. KDE and Gnome generally show that
> a single SVG file can suffice - by sacrificing on "intricate details" is
> the design.

In our company we do the icons for each resolution by hand and it
definitely makes a notable difference whether the icon is downscaled from a
detailed one or handcrafted with less details.

> Bottom line - the SVG solution is a lot better that shipping say Lazarus
> with its 400 icons in 15 different icon resulutions. That ends up with
> 6000 image files, which is crazy.

The .ico file format supports multiple resolutions.

> I already detest Lazarus's default application icon, which comes in at
> 140KB - larger than the source code of all my "quick test apps".

On Windows you can only use .ico files for application icons and the
default icon is supposed to look good in all zoom levels of the explorer...

Regards,
Sven