[Lazarus] Theoretical question about future of Lazarus

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:58:07 CEST 2015

On 10/12/15, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:

> And you are right, that FPC 3 is a big leap, especially for UTF-8
> applications. Some projects and packages need to check a lot of strings.
> If you see a Lazarus release as an unity of IDE and compiler, then the
> string change alone would require a 2.0. If you only see Lazarus, the
> amount of incompatibilities are far less than 1.2 to 1.4.

Well, I would vote for 2.0 for the next stable release that comes with
the 3.0 compiler.
We can then get rid of all code that is win9x compatible etc.
This will cleanup the LCL a bit.
Especially if we also then decide that 2.0 will NOT support the fpc
2.6 branch (the cp-aware strings and "utf8 in lcl" tend to give plenty
of ifdef-ed code).

Just my 2 cents.

Bart