[Lazarus] Theoretical question about future of Lazarus

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Oct 15 11:13:19 CEST 2015

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 19:48:14 -0300, Flávio Etrusco
> <flavio.etrusco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:13:53 +0300, Juha Manninen
>>> <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> $  time make clean bigide
>>>
>>> I have never seen such a command before, does it print the time the
>>> command following time takes to complete???
>>> man time does not mention such a functionality...
>>>
>> time is a builtin command (integrated in bash) thus to obtain help use
>> 'help time'.
>>

> Thanks, I thought it to be a version of date where the display would
> only be the time...
> man time seemed to indicate that, but help time says otherwise. In
> fact a very handy tool. Always learning new stuff... :)

time  is one of a number of commands that are implemented both as part
of the most common shells (Bash, Dash etc.) and as standalone binaries.
There's reasons for this, based on the fact that they're monitoring or
changing the state of the shell itself.

> I am going to rebuild the Lazarus bigide on my Raspberry Pi2 later
> today and will use this command to get a good time for the process and
> report back here.
> I just have to first find out how to get rid of the erroneously done
> installation using su...

Provided you've got the space you might want to rename it until you're
happy the new build is OK.

$ sudo mv old_directory_name new_directory_name

Once you're happy you've got things right you can delete it

$ sudo rm -r directory_name

or even

$ sudo rm -rf directory_name

but that can be brutal if you get it wrong. I usually do something like
this to create etc. a directory for Lazarus:

$ cd /usr/local/share
$ sudo mkdir lazarus
$ sudo chown markMLl:staff lazarus

After that you can fill the directory using svn or whatever and compile
it, without needing root.

As discussed elsewhere, you need to sort out logging into the RPi as
"yourself" rather than root, or you'll end up with a mix of file
ownership which you'll periodically find yourself sorting out with
something like

$ sudo chown -R markMLl:staff lazarus

or whatever.

--