[Lazarus] Building and starting Lazarus on Raspberry Pi2 with Raspbian Jessie

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 15:51:14 CEST 2015

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 08:57:45 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

>There isn't one. Even considering "standard packages", different Linux
>distreaux and other unix implementations (Solaris etc.) have different
>conventions for where they install non-core stuff: /usr/local, /opt,
>/opt/local and so on.
>
>/In/ /general/, you can rely on /usr/local/bin being on your path, or
>it's safe to add it. So basically, you can install both FPC and Lazarus
>wherever you want, and put symlinks in /usr/local/bin for the programs
>you need most.

Thank you so much!
This last item clarified a lot of what has been going on in my RPi....

I went into the/usr/local/bin directory and made a ls -la to see what
if any symlinks are there. Surprise! I found several dead symlinks:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       24 Oct 10 14:27 lazarus-ide ->
../share/lazarus/lazarus
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       25 Oct 10 14:27 lazbuild ->
../share/lazarus/lazbuild
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       29 Oct 10 14:27 lazres ->
../share/lazarus/tools/lazres
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       31 Oct 10 14:27 lrstolfm ->
../share/lazarus/tools/lrstolfm
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       29 Oct 10 14:27 startlazarus ->
../share/lazarus/startlazarus
-lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       36 Oct 10 14:27 updatepofiles ->
../share/lazarus/tools/updatepofiles

All of these are pointing to the erroneous root installation I did as
root! They were probably put there my the make install command I
issued as part of the tutorial but did not do manually after getting
lazarus into the Pi home dir.....

But them being here explains how the Jessie start menu got screwed up
as well, because in the menu definitions were only things like
"startlazarus %f" without any path specifier at all.

I see that by installing in any place whatever and then creating a
symlink like this all other functions need not know where the program
resides since it will be on path. For example the menu handler is a
case in point.
One can just change the symlink and keep everythying else like the
Menu entries....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden