[Lazarus] What does make install do?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Oct 17 12:54:05 CEST 2015

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2015, Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> Tried to figure this out but it was not so easy..
>>
>> If I do this after getting the sources (trunk) from svn:
>> make clean bigide
>> then Lazarus builds OK and I can use it by running startlazarus
>>
>> But there is also a command
>> make install
>>
>> What exactly does this do (in a Debian Jessie derivative environment)
>
> You can see this easily for yourself by adding the -n option:
>

> home: >make -n install

> It seems lazarus is added to the start menu, from the line:
>
> /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 install/lazarus.desktop
> /usr/local/share/applications/lazarus.desktop

I don't know whether that will be immediately reliable on all window
managers, i.e. whether the new entry will appear immediately or only
after a reboot.

See also xdg-desktop-menu and xdg-desktop-icon which should be included
with most distreaux and tailored for their peculiarities.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk