[Lazarus] What does make install do?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 11:33:12 CEST 2015

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 10:54:32 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

>> Then I examined what had happened and I found that the install script
>> had copied a number of files including lazarus executables to
>> /usr/local/share/lazarus and the symlinks in /usr/local/bin were
>> pointing to these executables effectively decoupling the lazarus
>> installation in the /home/pi tree from use!
>
>That is the intention.
>

>> So in essence what could be done to install Lazarus in Raspbian Jessie
>> is to use the make install command as su but then adjust it by
>> changing the symlinks back to the true installation directory in the
>> home tree.
>
>Usually that is NOT what you want in a default install.

Well, Juha in an earlier post seem to indicate that one should keep
Lazarus in ones home dir and use it from there too...
But he did not mention make install of course.
I needed that to get a way to make Lazarus visible on the start menu.

Anyway I now examined more and found that the install actually copied
970 MB worth of data to /usr/local/share/lazarus...
Probably the entire chunk of files.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden