[Lazarus] Clipboard problem with Lazarus using VNC

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 10:45:13 CET 2015

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 09:34:00 +0100, Michael Schnell
<mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

>On 10/24/2015 11:25 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>   except for the clipboard that is supposed to be
>> shared between the two systems.
>This rather obviously is is not an FPC or Lazarus problem but introduced
>by Tight VNC and hence should be discussed elsewhere. Maybe a greater
>VNC Version would work better.

I would disagree with this...

If I use any other aplication on the Linux side via VNC I can
copy-paste both ways with zero problems.
It i ONLY when I copy something in the Lazarus code editor that I have
to first paste this into another application on the Linux side before
I go to the Win7 side and paste again and it works. Note that it does
not help if I paste it back into the Lazarus editor, it must be done
in another Linux editor like the Text Editor.

So:
1) Copy inside Lazarus
2) Paste in Windows - old copied text is pasted

3) Copy inside Lazarus
4) Paste in Linux native text editor - text appears inside the Linux
environment
5) Paste in Win7 - correct text appears here too

To me it indicates a problem in the Lazarus text editor, it seems it
does not completely handle the Linux clipboard but pasting inside
Linux apparently corrects this.

I have earlier reported probnlems with writing special characters like
{ } [ ] @ \
which requires the use of AltGr to produce where I live. This was
explained to me as something with the Lazarus text editor not handling
a number of key events transferred through VNC correctly.
But that was a different topic since it was about typing on the
keyboard.
Here I am dealing with a clipboard problem.

Workaround now is:
Keep the Linux text editor running and always paste copied text from
Lazarus first in that text editor, then in Windows.
And for the typing problem I keep { } and [0] and @ in the text so it
can be copied and then pasted into Lazarus as needed. Note that these
characters can be written no problem via VNC into the Linux text
editor....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden